Skip to main
01446 791812 Request a call back

Your Horse column – Do I need public liability insurance for my elderly horse?

Q My elderly horse is too old to insure (he’s 26), but I’m worried what would happen if he broke loose from his field and caused an accident, or if I fell off on a hack and he bolted.

Do I need some kind of public liability insurance to protect myself in the event of something happening?

A Whilst a number of insurance companies refuse to cover elderly horses there are still many out there that do. I have a 29 year old and he is insured. It is vitally important that you get cover, particularly public liability cover.

If your horse were to break out of a field, or bolt on a hack you could be held personally liable for any damage caused. Any assets that you have could be taken including your home and the injured party could be entitled to an attachment to your earnings.

PDF Documents: CCE27052011_00000__3__1315411556__1_

Talk to one of our Horse Accident Claims Solicitors

For expert advice: