Free claim evaluation within 24 hours

Dog Attack Claims

Unfortunately, out of control dogs are a problem which is encountered all too often by horse owners. Fortunately the law in this respect is clear, in that dog owners must keep their animals under close control, with the Dangerous Dogs Act 1991 making it a criminal offence to allow a dog to be dangerously out of control.

Does the dog have to physically bite my horse?

No, HorseSolicitor’s lawyers have successfully pursued dog attack claims in which the dog has caused injury by either chasing horse and rider, jumping up at them and/or barking at the horse. The vast majority of dog attack claims do not involve the dog actually biting the horse.

Who can I claim against?

Depending on the circumstances, a claim can be brought against the owner of the dog or the person that was responsible for the dog at the time of the accident. That person doesn’t necessarily have to the means to compensate you because pet insurance policies often cover third party liability claims. If the owner has not taken out pet insurance their home contents insurer will often cover negligent acts that occur outside of the home.

What to do following a dog attack accident

If you are involved in a dog attack accident, there are a few simple things you can do to give you the best chance of making a successful claim against the person responsible.

Take details of the dog’s owner or person in charge of the dog at the time of the accident. The more information you can get the better but you need at least their name, address and telephone number.

See if there are any witnesses who will give you their details. Here you want name, address and phone numbers.

Can I claim if there are no witnesses?

Yes, but you should try to take photographs of the accident scene, the dog/dogs involved, any hoof or paw marks on the ground, these sorts of pictures can make all the difference.

If there is any CCTV or head cam footage this should be retained.

The matter should also be reported to the police. 

What am I entitled to claim?

You are entitled to recover compensation for your pain, suffering, loss of amenity and associated financial losses. You should keep a record of the financial losses that you incur as a result of the accident so that the court knows how much money to award you.

How long do I have to bring a claim?

In personal injury claims, the injury party has 3 years from the date of injury in which to commence court proceedings. However, you should call HorseSolicitor for specialist equine law advice sooner rather than later.

People are usually far more willing to admit liability for something they’ve done in the immediate aftermath than when you try to bring a claim 2 years down the line. Most cases can be dealt with on a no-win no-fee basis and if you’ve done all of the right things at the time you’ll have every chance of success.

Can you take over my claim from another solicitor?

Probably.  We take over a lot of claims from non-specialist solicitors.  It will depend where you are in the process but we can usually take over.  We’re happy to review your former solicitor’s file at no cost before letting you know if we can take over.